Following is a (slightly) censored version of some pieces of advice I have shared with some fellow TOITO riders:
~ Remember the tactics ~
(1) Stop only to get your card stamped, fill up your bottle/grab a banana – resist the temptation to linger on at the checkpoints (or to make a conbini stop!)
(2) When you see an elevated intersection („fly over“) ahead, go for it (but at your own risk -cyclists are not permitted).
(3) Do not trespass on traffic rules/lights especially not in a blatant way in front of the organizers near the checkpoints.
(4) Toilet breaks to be taken on the road (use a tree)!
(5) Do not eat the inarizushi distributed at the checkpoints…the fried bean curd will cause your stomach to severely cramp (remember we don’t have the same intestines as Japanese)
(6) Be not afraid of the insanely long tunnels towards the end of the ride- wear sunglasses with clear, non-tinted glasses.
(7) Do not pump your tires to the max. – go for SOFT whatever pressure that is depending on your weight.
(8) Try to keep your average moving speed at least above 30km/h.
(9) Ride as defensively as you can – crazy car drivers out there in the countryside!
(10) Remember this is not a race (never mention the word „race“ during the ride!!) but only a fast run so better make it a real fast one and enjoy yourself!